Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sundowners

The physical beauty of Africa is not limited to its wonderful wildlife.  We made it a goal to see as many sunrises and sunsets as possible.  It won't be a surprise to anyone who knows me that I didn't do a very good job of documenting sunrises.  (I did enjoy many though!)

Tian, our proprietor in Nxamaseri told us that he didn't believe a camera could actually capture the beauty of an African sunset.  I agree.  They are amazing, magical, fleeting.  And, while you know it won't be the same, it's really hard not to try to capture that magic through the camera to savor later.  It's not the same as being there, but I'm still glad that I tried to bring that juju home with me.  I think that I had some moderate success, and better yet, for me, looking at these pictures does transport me back to those places.  So, I had to share.  Below are sunsets from most of the places that we stayed.
Enjoy!

Deception Valley in the Kalahari

Nxamaseri in the Okavango Delta

Chobe Game Reserve in Northern Botswana - from the land

Chobe Game Reserve in Northern Botswana - from the water

Kyle Game Reserve in Masvingo Zimbabwe, near the Great Zimbabwe Ruins
Askari Game Reserve, South Africa

While not specifically a sunset, it was late afternoon.  The beach at Vilanculos, Mozambique.

No comments:

Post a Comment